Wednesday, January 9, 2008

For new dads ...

My wife is due with our second son (at the time of writing). There are many books out there that focus on what to expect as a new parent. I am yet to discover a book that explores the challenges that creep out of the wood-work during the pregnancy for dads. For one, nobody quite prepares new dads for the change in the relationship with their spouses. Nobody told me that my wife would transform into someone else, someone that could love me dearly one moment and then, in a split second, turn on me like a lion attacking its prey. At first I thought this experience was unique to me but after interviewing other, more experienced dads, I realized that this is "normal" and that men, in general, tend to suffer in silence. It appears that my wife's hormonal changes coupled with her physical changes makes her radical mood swings the norm. I must say that it get's better after the first kid. It helps to regularly remind yourself that the situation is temporary :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment