Monday, October 5, 2009

Being a dad, what it feels like ...

I am the proud parent of two young boys, one nearly 2 and the other nearly 4 years old. They have a brought kind of joy to my life that is beyond words. When I'm away from them I miss them all the time, not now and then, all THE time. To those of you who do not have any children, consider the following analogy to get a better sense of just how profound this experience is for me: Imagine life without the air that we breathe. I know, it sounds crazy and it's almost impossible to imagine such a thing, right? The idea of losing either of my boys is infinitely more inconceivable than the idea of no air. Just the thought stream generated from the previous sentence makes it difficult to breathe right now. Chances are that if you are fellow parent then you could be feeling the pang as well.

On a MUCH lighter note, my boys are mommy's boys. I am at a loss for words when it comes to attempting to describe the intense emotion associated with the rejection I experience as a result of the intense loyalty our boys feel to their mother, the centre of their universe, I just don't compete in this arena. I know, its not a competition. That's not the point. My wife experienced a 5 minute dose of this rejection with our youngest son about a month ago. She has no idea what it feels like to live with this rejection every day.You see, I know what it's like to be a mommy's boy, after all, I'm a mommy's boy and, for most of my life, my father was the villain, the obstacle, the one who hurt my mom's feelings. Karmah is truly a beach and I say this with a smirk on my face.

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. SWEET REVENGE !!!
    Have a girl next.
    You will see that Mom simply does not stand a chance ;-) Your little girl will ALWAYS pic her daddy to comfort her :-) She will sit quietly on your lap while you read her princess stories and Mom will be running her legs off trying to keep the boys apart hahahaha
    Noami I LOVE U ;-) You have taught me so MUCH !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feedback and VERY reasuring, thanks! Strange thing is that my wife arrived home with a home pregnancy test last night :D meaning that my little girl is around the corner :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. and...? Is she? :-)

    ReplyDelete