Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mannerisms

Two brothers, one 4 and one nearly 2 with two completely different personalities, in fact they look completely different as well. Our eldest is the gentlest soul, he does not fight, is sensitive and loves to understand what makes the world tick, how things work, a thinker. Our youngest is fearless and not concerned with consequences, a doer. He bounces out of bed in the morning, usually the first one up. He has an immense amount of energy. He has a permanent smile on his face and will probably grow up to be one of those people who jumps the queue and gets away with it, way too much charm. Both of them are unique combinations of our traits, fascinating. They are truly little people, mini-me's with so much to discover, the whole is still a mystery to them (it's still to me).

My opinion? We carry the best and the worst of both our parents (or who ever our primary caregivers were). It's up to us when we grow up one day to choose what we keep and what we discard when it comes to our introjected values and habits. I was privileged to be coached over a two year period and later completed a coaching certification as part of my life quest. This has helped me to become much more aware of my own feelings and my impact on those around me. I intend to pass these super essential life skills (not yet taught at our local schools) on to our boys so that they have the best possible start to life.

To the parents, what has your experience been like with your children ito helping them to develop the much needed soft skills required to cope with the emotional-stuff that life throws at us?

1 comment:

  1. Well, have you got me in tears tonight. Thank you for being an exceptional person and a an amazing father. I will be back to learn more tomorrow :-)
    T

    ReplyDelete