Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Slips in My Pockets

Own a fat, deformed leather wallet filled with lots of slips? I thought so.

During the course of my work day I may or may not pay for parking as part of a client visit. I may or may not have a breakfast, lunch or dinner meeting with a client or I mighht meet a colleague for a meeting while out of the office, i.e. I collect slips/receipts during the day.

I used to loose my receipts. I did not have a consistent storage place for them, i.e. some of it was in various places in my car, some in my laptop bag, some in a jacket pocket, others on my desk, in the drawer, on a shelf in my bedroom, in my wallet and so on and son. At some point I stopped using my wallet because storing slips in my wallet lead to a swollen, uncomfortable and eventually deformed wallet that was in desperate need of replacement. So, I started keeping my slips in my work pants pockets. Each morning I transfer the slips from my previous day's pants to today's pants. I only keep slips that I use as part of my monthly work expense claim. The rest I throw awat. I also keep a monthly expense-claim envelope in the top draw of my cradenza. The idea is that I transfer my "pocket" slips to the envelope whenever I remember to do so (when I can no longer easlily find things in my pockets!). Then empty the envelope once per month as part of my monthly expense claim process. The system is not full-proof but it works (mostly)!

What does your pockets look like? Have you found a fullproof system that works for you? If so, then please share your wisdom with me?

PS: I now own a slim wallet that only takes plastic. Where did I leave my small change again??

No comments:

Post a Comment