Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Guilt

This evening my boys and me were rolling around on the bed and, in the midst of all of this, my eldest threw beach sand in my face, yes ... beach sand. The presence of beach sand is not surprising, it came home with him today, as with every other day, from school (mostly in his shoes and pants pockets). What was not expected was being thrown with the sand in my face. My response was very stern, how my dad would do it. My eldest is a very sensitive kid. I could see that it affected him. I gave him the cold-shoulder for a further 5 minutes before remembering that he was just a baby, my eldest baby boy, and that this unnaceptable behaviour could've been "taught" to him at school by one of his school mates.

Immediately I felt guilty. We made up and he later went to bed with a smile on his face. However, the guilt lingered for a little while longer.

When he threw the sand in my face he was laughing. This was fun to him. I later had a much lighter conversation with him about his bad behaviour. He now (mostly) understands that this kind of behaviour is associated with being rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment