Sunday, August 16, 2009

Why build a neighbourhood?

I live in a cul de sac in Cape Town. Today, I met one of my neighbours for the first time. He's been living in our street for the past 2.5 years. I've been living here for eight years now.

So let me bring your attention to the present moment. Our world is in crisis, economic crisis, climatic crisis, disease, poverty, war, etc. Whats gone wrong? How did we get here? How did we get so far off course as a collective?

Global harmony starts with harmony at home. The foundation of the community is built at home. Yes, I'm aware that the Internet is vast and that much has been written on this subject. The views expressed on my blog are my views as a result of my direct experience with the subject. Consider my input as one of many millions of opnions on the subject matter. I'd be curious to hear whether or not your experience in any way parallel's mine.

I grew up in a community where the kids played outside until late at night, unharmed. We roamed free. We felt safe. A community in which my kid was protected by the rest of the community, where my kid was your kid. It seems those days have passed. Children don't play on their own in the streets anymore, not for long periods. I now live in a world where people mostly do not know their neighbours, often never having met them before. Surely there's something odd about this picture?

Action for today: I choose to take back my neighbourhood, one neighbour at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment